The Meteorological and Environmental Protection Administration had identified its operational tasks, and its coordinating and supportive roles to achieve the following targets.
- The improvement of safety, health, and human welfare of the citizens of the Kingdom, by the provision of services in meteorology, climatology, and environmental protection.
- The development and production of environmental policies, in participation with relevant vestment, and provide for the management, investment, and application of national natural resources for the welfare of Saudi community.
- The improvement of MEPA programs by raising the standers of production, accuracy, ronmental services, and by establishing the most up-to-date laboratories, maintenance workshops, computer facilities, and regional centers.
- The growth of public awareness of the citizen concerning the importance of environmental affairs and the natural heritages of the countryside and seas, and of developing his understanding of the necessity of his personal participation in their protection. This to be carried out through media services and by incorporation into school and university curricula of the purposes and benefits of environmental protection.
- The improvement of citizens participation in MEPAís Activities, by supporting staff on long-term studies in Kingdom and in other countries, and by encouraging researches and other studies in universities and research institutes.
- The provision of meteorological, climatological, and environmental supports to the development and planning of major project and national economic affairs by establishing relevant data-banks.
- The increase of efficiency and effectiveness of meteorological and environmental programs with Kingdom by the participation in regional activities, through the GCC and other regional authorities and agencies; the encouragement of the development of technical capabilities for meteorological and environmental aspects and activity within public and private sectors of the Kingdom; and support of academic establishments and research centers generally with realize the widest possible participation in executing all programs or project in environmental protection and preservation to which the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia is committed under international agreements and associations, etc., and in accord with development of the private sector in national affairs.
As a result of the comprehensive national economic growth occurring in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, and especially with the introduction of air transport in line with global activity, the need arose for an efficient meteorological service. Accordingly in 1370-H. (1951), the Department of Meteorology was established within the Civil Aviation Directorate.
Following further growth in demand for meteorological services from a diversity of users with increased requirements for climatological and operational information in the fields of planning, industry, agriculture, transport, and other differing activities, it became necessary to establish a separate Directorate with itís own technical and administrative staff To this purpose a Royal Decree, establishing a General Directorate of Meteorology was issued on 1.7.1386, (15. 10. 1966), the Directorate being directly related to Ministry of Defence and Civil Aviation , and having itís own budget.
During the following two decades the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia witnessed very rapid development in economic and industrials sectors, and the necessity to take care of environment affairs emerged, in all aspects of land, water and air activity to avoid duplication and dissipation of effort between the different governmental departments involved in these matters, the General Directorate of Meteorology was designated as central agency to be responsible for environmental protection, and to include the reponse to pollution of all kinds, and the establishment of the different environmental standards with this remit. This was established by Royal Decree on 24.4.1401, (28.2.1981), in accordance with the recommendations of the High Committee tasked with a national administrative review, the title of the organization being changed to Meteorology and Environmental Protection Administration, (MEPA).
(last updated: 05-January-2003)
The documentation was gathered with the best efforts of researchers and scholars, in neutral and scientific spirit. We welcome all clarifications, corrections and improvements for best services. A Concept Team makes every effort to ensure, but cannot guarantee, the accuracy at all times of this information. Hyperlinks to or from other websites imply neither responsibility for, nor approval of, the information contained in those websites by A Concept. Copyright A Concept mafhoum "the Arab Decision Makers Project"