The Emirate of East Jordan was politically established in 1921 by the British mandate. Its independence was declared on 25/5/1923 upon the recognition by Britain of the existence of an independent government therein. On this basis, an agreement was concluded by and between the Government in East Jordan and the mandate Government (Britain) known as the 1928 Treaty. It was signed after lengthy and difficult negotiations where conditions of the mandate and of the Jordanian constitutional government were established. The Treaty imposed restrictions on the powers of the Government and the Parliament even on the movement and decisions of the Emir (Prince).
Based on this, the Basic Law was established for the Emirate of East Jordan in 1928 by virtue of which East Jordan was given constitutional legitimacy for the administration of the country affairs. Then an Elections Law was issued for the election of the 1st Legislative Council. Five more Legislative Councils were elected during the term of the Emirate (1923-1946) the first of which was in 1929.
The Constitution of The Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan
CHAPTER FIVE The Legislative Power
The National Assembly
Article 62 The National Assembly shall consist of two Houses: The Senate and the Chamber of Deputies.
The documentation was gathered with the best efforts of researchers and scholars, in neutral and scientific spirit. We welcome all clarifications, corrections and improvements for best services. A Concept Team makes every effort to ensure, but cannot guarantee, the accuracy at all times of this information. Hyperlinks to or from other websites imply neither responsibility for, nor approval of, the information contained in those websites by A Concept. Copyright A Concept mafhoum "the Arab Decision Makers Project"