PO Box 14, Birzeit
West Bank, Palestine
Public Relations: email@example.com
Registration Office: firstname.lastname@example.org
Int′l Students: email@example.com
BZU website issues: firstname.lastname@example.org
Birzeit University strives to promote excellence in higher education by providing quality academic teaching, training, research and relevant community programs within the context of sustainable development, emphasizing social conscience and democratic values in a free civil Palestinian society.
The University offers numerous undergraduate and graduate programs through its six faculties: Arts, Commerce and Economics, Engineering, Sciences, Law and Public Administration and Graduate Studies.
In addition to its academic programs, the University operates the following community institutes, centers and programs:
Institute of Community and Public Health
Institute of Law
Institute of Women’s Studies
Ibrahim Abu Lughod Institute of International Studies
Water Studies Institute
Center for Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences
Center for Continuing Education
Development Studies Program
Birzeit University’s history goes back to 1924 when it was established as a small private school in Birzeit, Palestine. In 1953, Birzeit College (as the name of the University was at that time) started offering first-year university-level courses in Arts and Sciences in addition to its high school program. By 1961, Birzeit College was offering second-year university-level courses, and by the end of that year associate degrees in Arts and Sciences were granted. In 1972 the College began a four-year program leading to Bachelor’s degrees in both Arts and Sciences. To comply with the expected demands of higher education and to guarantee its continuity, the institution changed its structure from a private one to a public one and was officially registered as such. In 1975 the name “Birzeit University" was adopted making it the first Arab university to be established in Palestine. The University held its first graduation ceremony on July 11, 1976. That same year construction of the new campus on the outskirts of the town of Birzeit was begun. In 1978 the Faculty of Commerce and Economics was established, followed a year later by the Faculty of Engineering. The University began to offer graduate programs on a limited scale in 1977, and in 1996 the Faculty of Graduate Studies was formally established. In 2004, the undergraduate Faculty for Law and Public Administration was established. In the 2004-2005 academic year a new Faculty of Law and Public Administration was established.
An autonomous Board of Trustees composed of prominent leaders of the community governs the University. The Board appoints the University President as well as confirms the appointments of vice-presidents and deans which make up the University Council.
(last updated: 02-June-2008)
The documentation was gathered with the best efforts of researchers and scholars, in neutral and scientific spirit. We welcome all clarifications, corrections and improvements for best services. A Concept Team makes every effort to ensure, but cannot guarantee, the accuracy at all times of this information. Hyperlinks to or from other websites imply neither responsibility for, nor approval of, the information contained in those websites by A Concept. Copyright A Concept mafhoum "the Arab Decision Makers Project"